Legal News & Attorney Services

Mother And Son Die In Police Restraints 13 Years Apart

Her son, Robert Loggins was just 13 years old at the time of her death and “it gave him a different outlook on the world and the officers,” Jessica Hayes, Robert’s sister, told the news outlet.

The tragic loss of his mother was compounded by his grandmother’s death which led to a struggle in school and behavioral and mental problems which he received psychiatric treatment for. Robert eventually turned to marijuana and meth to escape, his father, Robert Ford, said.

Robert began committing burglaries and other crimes to fund his addiction. In 2010, at age 17, he was arrested for stealing tires and wheels from a car and sentenced to 10 years in prison.

In 2015, we was released on parole, married, had a son, began working and earned his GED. He started to put himself through community college to learn welding and even won local writing contests but the addiction came up again.

He enrolled in two rehab programs but was rearrested in 2018 for violating his parole.

“It’s kind of hard to talk about, but he was calling me, ‘Dad,’ and he was crying,” Ford recalled. “I told him, ‘Son, it’s going to be all right.'”

Ford went to pick up his son after he was freed months later in November. All Robert could talk about was going to see his child in Oxford, about 50 miles away. Ford offered to take Loggins there over the weekend, but never got the chance.

On November 29, 2018, a 911 call was placed by a homeowner who told the dispatcher there was someone in her backyard calling for help.

Five members of the Grenada Police Department responded to the call. When they arrived, they found Robert faced down with his hands underneath his stomach.

Officers barked orders to put his hands behind his back. When Robert, who was reportedly experiencing a mental health crisis, didn’t put his hands behind his back, officers used a taser on the 26-year-old eight times.

He was handcuffed and left in the prone position on the floor of the jail. A supervisor noticed that he might be in distressed, but officers waved off her concern.

After a while, the jailer told officers he needed his handcuffs back, at least four law enforcement officers piled on top of Robert to remove the cuffs from his wrists. They were on top of him for more than three minutes. When they got up, Robert didn’t move.

“He’s bleeding from his mouth. He’s bleeding from his legs,” the jail supervisor told 911. She was again waved off before an ambulance finally came. But they couldn’t revive Robert. They transported him to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Source by [author_name]

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.